This quick guide is to help Astah beginners to minimize the learning curve.
Download an Astah Professional installer from the Download page.
The web browser will automatically pick the installer for the Operating System you are using. Click the [Download 50-day trial] button.
Please contact us with the information and details about the fail.
If you are using Linux, please follow these instruction to resolve common issues.
Launch Astah by double-clicking the application icon. Astah will run for 20 days without setting a license.
If you'd like, you can extend your trial period for 30 more days once the initial 20 days are over.
If Astah fails to launch, usually it is due to the Java version you are using to run Astah.
Please make sure that your environment meets Astah's System Requirements.
Especially Linux users may be able to resolve by using supported version of Oracle Java by following the instruction "Java Download and Install" on "How to run Astah on Linux" page. If these steps don't resolve your issue, please contact support.
This section will go through the steps of creating a project, diagrams and models.
Overview of Astah Window
To create a project, select [File] - [New] or click the [New Project] Icon on the start screen. Directly creating new diagrams will also create a new project.
To save a project, select [File] - [Save] or [File] - [Save as]... When you are saving a project for the first time, you will be asked to specify its location.
Let's take a Class diagram as an example, to create a Class diagram:
- Select [Diagram] - [Class Diagram]
- A blank diagram opens in the Diagram Editor
Let's create a Class.
- Click on the [Class] icon in the tool bar.
- Click directly on the diagram canvas to place a class, and enter its name
Double-clicking on the Diagram will also create a Class. You can learn more about quickly creating Class Diagrams from this short video.
The easiest way to change fonts in Astah is from the tree.
- In the tree view, click on a root package.
- Go down to the project view (left bottom pane), select [Project Setting] tab and click the button next to [Default Font]
- [Font] diglog opens. Choose the style you like
- Open a project you want to generate source code from
- Go to [Tools] - [Java (C++, C# or PHP)] - [Export Java (C++, C# or PHP)]
- Specify models you want to export source code, and specify the directory
If you'd like to export to other programming languages, you can use Plug-ins.
Reverse Engineering models from Java source code is available from [Tools] - [Java] - [Import Java].
To reverse C# or C++ projects, you will need to install Plug-ins first. The Plug-ins and instructions are on the pages below.
When you are working on a diagram with a team, Astah's [Reference Model Management] is a feature to make the collaborative modeling easier and more effective.
There are many free plug-ins avaibale to add extensions to Astah, check out the Astah Plug-in page.