In Astah Professional, ER Diagrams (Entity-Relationship Diagrams) can be drawn in two notations, IDEF1X or IE.
Categories for Entity, Resource, Event and Summary can all be set. Show Domains hierarchically and you can drag-and-drop
Domains into Entities directly to add them. DB Reverse
Entity-import via Excel
are available by using free Plug-ins
Create ER Diagram
- Go to [Diagram] - [ER Diagram].
- In the tree view, Domain and ER Diagram will be created under the [ER Model] package.
Switch Logical Name and Physical Name
Each model has two fields for its name - Logical one and Physical one.
There are three ways to switch the name.
- Click [Diagram Model Type] from ER's pop-up menu.
- Click [Diagram Model Type] in the Structure Tree.
- Switch from ER Diagrams's Property View
TIPS: Set Default model Type
TIPS: Switch logical/physical names in the Structure Tree.
To switch model name between logical one and physical one, select it from [Tree Model Type] on ER Models' pop-up menu.
You can switch the diagram notation between [IDEF1X] and [IE]. There are two ways to switch the notation.
- Select [Diagram Notation] from pop-up menu on ER Diagram or in the Structure Tree.
- Switch from ER Diagram's Property View.
Entity. You can choose "Resource Entity", "Summary Entity" and "Event Entity" from the dropdown list.
|SeeCommon tools for the others.
Double click on an ER Diagram to create an Entity.
Add Primary keys/Attributes
You can add Primary keys and Attributes from ER Entity's Pop-up menu or clicking the diamond icons that appear when you have your mouse over an ER Entity.
TIPS: What you can do with Primary Key/Attributes on the diagram
1. While either is selected, hit [Enter] key to create another.
2. [Shift+Enter] key can also add another Primary key/Attribute.
3. You can drag them to other Entity or within the Entity.
For more details, check out the Shortcut key for ER Diargam
Add hidden models
You can add all the hidden model by clicking [Show Hidden Relationship] from the pop-up menu of ER Diagram.
Change display level
You can change the display level of ER Entities from [Entity Display Level] from the pop-up menu of ER Diagram.
There are three ways to display the ER Entity.
Further detailed vsibility setting
You can configure more detailed visibility settings from ER Entity's pop-up menu.
You can add Domain one by one or more than one at all once.
Add multiple domains once
Click [Add], specify the domains and click [Add checked items] to add new domains to your project.
Add Domain to an ER Entity
You can drag Domain from the Structure Tree to an ER Entity on the diagram.
Add ER Data Type
- Go to [Tools] - [ER Diagram] - [Set ER Data Type]. Then you will get the window below.
- Click [Add] button to add new ER Data type.