You can create ER Diagrams (Entity-Relationship Diagrams) in two notations, IDEF1X or IE.
Also you can auto-generate ER diagrams by reversing from your database. All models are stored in one place and can be converted to other models like UML Class diagram models and vice versa.
Create ER Diagram
- Go to [Diagram] - [ER Diagram] from Main Menu.
- In the tree view, Domain and ER Diagram will be created under the [ER Model] package.
Auto-generate ER Diagrams
You can genarate ER Diagrams after importing database tables with DB Reverse Plug-in.
- Right-click on the target ER Model in the Tree and select [Auto Create ER Diagram].
- Generated ER Diagram will open automatically.
Switch Logical Name and Physical Name
Each model has two fields for its name - Logical and Physical.
There are three ways to switch the name.
- Right-click on the diagram and select [Diagram Model Type] from its pop-up menu.
- Click [Diagram Model Type] in the Structure Tree.
- Switch from ER Diagrams's Property View
TIPS: Set Default model Type
TIPS: Switch logical/physical name in the Tree
To switch model name between logical and physical in the tree, select it from [Tree Model Type] on ER Models' pop-up menu.
You can switch the diagram notation between [IDEF1X] and [IE]. There are two ways to switch the notation.
- Right-click on the ER diagram and click [Diagram Notation] from its pop-up menu.
- Switch from ER Diagram's Property View.
Entity. You can choose "Resource Entity", "Summary Entity" and "Event Entity" from the dropdown list.
|See Common tools for the others.
Attributes Highlighter. When you select an attribute, its related attributes and relationships will be highlighted, while this mode is on.
You can directly double-click on the ER Diagram to create an Entity.
Add Primary keys/Attributes
You can add Primary keys and Attributes from ER Entity's Pop-up menu or clicking the diamond icons that appear when you have your mouse over an ER Entity.
TIPS: What you can do with Primary Key/Attributes
1. While either is selected, hitting [Enter] key can create another.
2. You can drag it to other Entity or within the Entity.
For more, check out the Shortcut key for ER Diargam
Change display level
There are three ways to display the ER Entity.
You can change the display level of ER Entities from [Display Level] menu.
Further detailed visibility setting
You can configure more detailed visibility settings from ER Entity's pop-up menu.
TIPS: Export a list of Entities to HTML
You can add a domain one by one from [Add Domain] menu in the tree.
Add multiple domains once
If you want to add more than one domain, click Add ER Domains.
Speify the domain data in the list.
Add Domain to an ER Entity
You can drag a Domain from the Tree to an ER Entity directly on the diagram.
If there are no related Entities showing on a diagram. Click [Show Dependent Entities] from the Entity's Pop-up menu. This adds all the related Entities on the diagram. Very helpful when you add an Entity by dragging it from the tree.
To see a list of related Entities, click [Show Hidden Relationship] from the Entity's Pop-up menu.
A dialogue with a list of related entities and its relations appears. You can choose which to add on the diagram.