C++ Reverse Engineering
Easiest way to reverse engineer C++ into an Astah Diagram
C++ Reverse Engineering Plug-in is the easiest way to reverse C++ source code into UML diagrams in Astah. It will add an option to [Import C++] directly into the dropdown menus.
How to Reverse Engineer C++ with Astah
- Download the C++ Reverse Engineering Plug-in
- Run Astah and go to [Help] - [Plugin List] menu and click [Install] button (if you are running Astah 6.6.x or earlier click here).
- Select the .jar file and restart Astah.
- [Import C++] is now under [Tool] - [C++]
- Have your C++ source code exported into XML by using Doxygen (instructions for using Doxygen)
- Select [Tool] - [C++] - [Import C++] and select the XML file
- You can generate Class Diagrams with the Source Code you imported by selecting [Auto Create Class Diagram/ Detailed Class Diagram] from the menu in the pop down menu of Project, Package, Subsystem, Model or Classes in the Structure Tree. TIP - How to auto-create Class Diagrams
Instructions for using Doxygen
To reverse C++ Source Code into Astah, you first need to create XML files of the source code using a tool called "Doxygen".
- Download Doxygen, a free tool that can be used to export C++ source code to an XML file.
- Install and Launch Doxygen, the [Doxygen GUI Frontend] dialog will open, set it up as follows. (Version 18.104.22.168 shown)
|[Project]||Do not use the following symbols: &, <, >, * or @ in the destination directory.|
|[Mode]||Choose [All Entities] and [Optimize for C++ output or C++/CLI output]|
|[Input]||Specify the encoding which is used in the source code (e.g. UTF-8, CP1252). List of supported encoding|
|[Preprocessor]||Make sure to check the three options, [Enable_Preprocessing],
[Macro_Expansion] and [Search_includes], the rest can be by your preference.|
- Go to [File] - [Save] to save this configuration.
- Go back to [Doxygen GUI frontend] dialog, select [Run] tab. Specify the working directory and then click [Run doxygen] button.
- The message "*** Doxygen has finished" appears.
Please make sure that Doxygen generated the .xml file without any errors in the window.
- Import this .xml file from [Tool] - [C++] - [Import C++] in Astah.
How to install plug-in in Astah 6.6.x or earlier
Save the plug-in .jar file in the 'plugins' folder under the Astah installation folder and restart Astah
|Plug-in Version||Release Date||Astah Professional Version||Download / Release Notes|
|1.0.9||2014/07/17||Version 6.8 or later||Download|
|1.0.8||2014/08/06||Version 6.8 or later||Download|
|1.0.7||2014/02/27||Version 6.8 or later||Download / Release Notes|
|1.0.6||2013/12/06||Version 6.7 or later||Download|
This Plug-in works with Astah Professional